Friday, December 7, 2018

NPG December 1, 2018

December 1, 2018   Native Plant Garden

"In the eye of the beholder," as Ellen and I entered the NPG, I was struck by the brownness and empty areas, and Ellen commented "a lot of color."
brown and empty


Winterberry color











Visiting "my baby" (NPG) after an amount of time, and she has changed.  I knew it, yet found it shocking. A lot of work has been done by the gardeners.

I am here today because Ellen invited me to join her at NYBG where she has a tour today called Winter Wonderland, whatever that can be made to be. Sunny and chilly, my kind of day. I am ordered by the ENT doctor to talk as little as possible to heal my vocal cords, so frustration to deal with that as I interact with visitors with sign language or iPad notes.
It was hard, unusual, to get the iPad working so I could write.   I owe it an apology for my absence from the Botanical Garden, having
American Holly red berries
traveled to Canada and excuses, excuses.













 Michael Hagen had identified Aster ericoides, across from the plaque and pond, and this is how it looks today. Knowing where it is helps to know what it is.

Aster ericoides Dec. 1, 2018

Aster ericoides  Sept. 28, 2018


Color on the Witch Hazel
As I remember wandering in the "old" NPG, in the late fall it was surprising to see otherwise hidden signs, and so today, some that I hadn't noticed when full growth.



















             

















When I first started cross country skiing, I was excited to see winter leavings, the fern fronds that are actually quite beautiful. A reminder today.











The Alabama Crotons, which were a surprising addition to NPG, have done well and are still showing green.  Looks to me as if more have been added.





Make yourself to home.  Stretch out and watch the water.




























Huge crowds today.  Why? Gotta be the Holiday Train Show, and also the lovely day.  Good for the Garden, make some money.  But I found it upsetting:
1. Tall family with three tall children clambering on Split Rock, where I was both out of voice and        too far away to communicate with sign language.
2. Small kids running through and on the planting areas, some parents gathering them in, some unperturbed by their activity.
3. A boy out on the extension into the water feature who did make his way back without falling in.
4. The worst to me was a six year old boy on the grounds near the Clock repeatedly throwing a jagged 8 inch rock as hard as he could against the tree, the mother perfectly comfortable with that, as she carried a two year old on the ground to go closer to a tree.  There I did manage to point to get him to quit and mother to get back on the path.



 





River Birch

Magnolia


Little Brown Jug



1 comment:

Joel said...

Sorry to "hear" about your voice. And a shame you could not keep those rule breakers in line. Grrr. But i did not realize that the little brown jugs stay green so late in the season. On our patio the Christmas ferns and foam flower are still very verdant.
The crowds in your pic surprised me a lot. My previous experience was that the train loving crowds had very little interest in planes