Saturday, April 21, 2018

Native Plant Garden   NYBG  April 7, 2018 and April 21, 2018

A voice from the past, at least I feel that it's been a long hiatus since I have showed up to write the Native Plant Garden blog.  By myself at the Fern Society, on Saturday, 4/7,  and then a long time spent in NPG with a huge number of photos taken. Woulds't that I could get the photos on here!  So words are worth a thousand photos (when you can't get the photos onboard). BRILLIANT DISCOVERY by this technologically challenged person:  If I drag the photo to the blog, nothing.  But if I drag the photo onto the desktop and THEN drag it to the blog, it sticks.  Maybe not how I would arrange the page, but beggars can't be choosers.

This is for my own blabbing pleasure, but just in case any docent who still cares to check me out wants to know what's blooming, here goes.  It has been a late season, chilly for spring.  One of my mentors, Nancy Slowik, when asked to identify a plant, was always comfortable enough to say, there has to be a flower for identification.  True, Newcomb, which I always have found to be the best to carry for plant id, requires to know the number of petals as well as details about the leaves, but I feel it is my responsibility to know the plant from the leaves alone.  That information is in my head, somewhere, and a relief when I can pull the name of the plant out.  Needed today because many plants are just leaves, but not all. Coincidence: found a group called Urban something lead by none other than Nancy Slowik herself, now teaching at NYBG as well as many other places.

On April 7, Marsh Marigold was in all its glory  and Hepatica.

If you know your leaves, or growing patterns, Bloodroot was hinting at its coming as was Yellow Trillium.  All the rest of my photos are of leaves, or scenes.

Two weeks later, April 21, there with my son Rich and two friends from Teaneck, Edna and Laszlo,
the Bloodroot was everywhere, and the natives I prefer, only one double. A White Trillium showing with promise of more to come, and the Yellow Trillium which last the longest there but not as colorful as they will be.
White Trillium

Twinleaf and Bellwort are showing a little of flowers, a fair amount of Trout Lily blooming.



Baptisia Wild Indigo looking like asparagus before it will open.


Spice Bush is too far away to scratch the bark for the lemony aroma.
Spice Bush
Almost easy to misidentify, my beloved Spring Beauties with their delicate pink lines on the petals .



 And Wild Bleeding Heart, a docent's best friend because it blooms early and lasts until November is in numerous sites.

Not pictured but on my printed list: Virginia Bluebells, Golden Alexanders.

My friends asked about a new tree, and I am excited to see a young Franklin Tree added to the collection.

Letting well enough alone, my fiddling is making things worse, so this is it for now.





2 comments:

Katherine Wagner-Reiss said...

Marcia, Thank you so much, this is almost as good as being in the Native Plant Garden with you! Love the photos and your
discussion, as always!

Joel said...

Two years later and still a helpful guide to what to expect on my tours later today. Thank you Marcia