Tuesday, June 26, 2018

NPG Sunday, June 24, 2018

At the Garden five days ago, but I had heard from the docents that Joel was giving a tour on this date.  If Mohamed won't go to the mountain...   Joel is a good friend, having met many years ago at a docent class that I guess I taught and he was sitting on the aisle and indicated his interest as I walked past at the end of the class. If I had anything to do with his outstanding knowledge of the Native Plant Garden, it is one of those situations that I recall when I was a summer camp counselor.  I taught kids to dive better than I could, and to serve in tennis better than I did, so you get my meaning.  Though we help each other, Joel clarified the identities of several plants today as we went through before his tour was to begin. It was nice to see docent DePrator today, too, and many more visitors on a weekend.

Though I could see how the young German visitor last time felt it was "all green," in just the five days there was a lot of growth, and yes, many flowering and berried plants to identify. I took photos galore, so different from the days when we had 12 pictures on a roll of tape and one was very careful to choose what to shoot.  Of course I photo individual flowers but the meadow was sooo beautiful with myriad colors so I also took overall views.


Milkweed, Poppies, False Sunflowers.


Pear Cactus, Butterfly Weed


















Phlox and Wild Bleeding Heart and Yellow Coneflower in the approach to the NPG.

Lots of species of Beardtongue


Little Brown Jug
Beebalm Monarda, Wild Quinine, Harebell, Little Brown Jug which I confused with Wild Ginger, in the same family. See the flowers under the leaves.

Meadow Rue, Creeping Mint (small purple flowers), Celandine Poppy, Cohosh Cimicifuga racemosa, Skullcap, attractive berries on Starry False Solomon's Seal, high on the Franklin Tree are some white flower buds, a little left of Golden Alexanders, a lot of Pickerelweed in both sides of the upper water feature, Calapogon pogonia of the orchid family in the Pitcher Plant area, Rose, and newly blooming Turk's Head? Lily under the River Birch Trees.
Helianthus helianthoides

           Allium cernuum ‘Hidcote’  Nodding onion. It’s a darker pink than the species.
The meadow is just gorgeous with Spidewort, Coreopsis palmata which was pictured in the last blog, Sirene virginica, Mountain Mint.  

Ruellia humilis Wild Petunia among the Cactus
Culver's Root's spikes in approach section. Barbara's Buttons by Pitcher Plants.
Barbara's Buttons

 Many berries today: Blueberries, Chokeberry.

Culver's Root
Helianthus helianthoides
Lily under River Birches
Do we all recognize Pam?





































No comments: