Monday, June 4, 2018

P.S. on May 31 and NYBG June 2, 2018

This is a continuation plant info for May 31, '18, but from another visit on June 2, 2018.

I can't believe it. How much I left out two days ago.  My apologies, ten blooms I did not mention, so either I just plain missed them, or, they all bloomed in two days.  You should know the white flowers in the approach to the NPG entrance, obviously Phlox.  All my blab about Culver's Root?  No flower showing there, and, yes, it is a tall plant that has been put there, to bloom "early to midsummer, lasting about a month," quoting from my NPG book.

Loving the color blue, I fell for Blue-eyed Grass Sisyrinchium augustifolium (has to be high on the list for the tongue-twistiest name) when it was first put into the 2013 NPG and think of it with sparse flowers, but this season they are exuberant if that is an appropriate word.  Guess what!  I see that I can choose the size of the photo, first time noticed by this observant person whose brain shrinks when facing technology.  That certainly makes it a little easier to see the small blue-eyed grass flowers.
larger
Blue-eyed Grass


The Toadflax wouldn't show in a photo, it is such a skinny little thing, but if any visitor asks what that tiny flower is by the top of the water feature, tell 'em it invited itself from the old NPG.  There was also some Jacob's Ladder blooming under the River Birch, and the post-bloom seems to intrigue people more than the story of the ladder-to-heaven.  The Joe Pye is ready to bloom, as is the orange flowered Butterfly Weed Asclepias tuberosa.  Do notice the tiny white flowers on the American Holly, telling us it is the female of the species.  I didn't get up close, but the flowers reminded me of the beloved waxy ones on Inkberry. Still some Yellow Trillium and Celandine Poppy near the Education Building. And the tenth one I am adding, that I missed two days ago, is Golden Club, a favorite from the old NPG.




Now, back to May 31st.  This is NOT about the Native Plant Garden, but NYBG.  Because I   brought two visitors, we did go to see the Georgie O'Keefe exhibit.  I will guess that you will get to see the paintings, and the plants that were brought from Hawaii that are in the Conservatory.  Here is just one photo of an intriguing plant that G.O. painted.
 

It was a little confusing to find our way in the Library where the paintings and other parts of the exhibit are on several floors.  Who directed us?  One of our very own fellow docents, DePrator, who was knowledgeable and nice and charming and helpful.  And whose email I got straightened out so she can go back on the blog list!


June 2, 2018
As you can determine from the additions to the NPG report, I was back at the Garden two days apart.  I have young (in their fifties) very good friends from my Catskill cabin life who drove two hours to see the ROSES.  June is the season for roses, and Bruce is mad for roses.  Beejay is also a walking Wikepedia and they have an amazing garden in Maplecrest.  Also joining them was their friend Richard who knew all the plant names, and is also with Bruce serious guitarists. Yes, we spent hours there, smelled more roses than I thought still preserved their lovely aroma, and you get the benefit of a few of the many photos.
















Instead of heading to Arthur Avenue for dinner, we had a lovely, if expensive, dinner at NYBG's Hudson Grill which was a relief for my tired legs after eight hours mostly on my feet at the Garden.

No comments: